Learn the Ropes — UX training for creative professionals
For people who want to excel in User Experience
Whether you’re new to User Experience or at an inflection point in your career, you’re going to have to tackle a new set of skills to take you where you want to go. If you don’t know how to raise the sails, how are you going to propel your ship forward? You need the right foundation.
It may be time to Learn the Ropes if:
- You want to pursue a career in UX, but you don’t know where to start
- You’re at a crossroads in your UX career, but need help figuring out the next step
- You’re starting a new UX job and need to get up to speed ASAP
- You’re now responsible for leading and building a UX team, but don’t feel you have the skills you need to succeed
- You work at a company that doesn’t value User Experience and you’re struggling to make a difference
Whitney has spent the last decade building a career in User Experience, from being an interaction designer at a digital agency, to a user experience researcher at a financial software company, to running her own consulting business since 2008. She knows the ins and outs of this industry and she wants to share what she’s learned with you.
I am more confident than ever about pursuing a career in UX. It is really the first time I do not feel like an outsider in a professional community. I cannot thank you enough for pointing me in the right direction. Thank you for all of your support.” — C.A.
People who work with Whitney to learn the ropes have:
- Developed new skills
- Sold their ideas
- Been given greater responsibility
- Taken on paying side projects
- Received praise from coworkers
- Been accepted to speak at a conference
- Found a mentor
- Redesigned their portfolios
- Entered grad school
- Launched new products to rave reviews
- Earned raises and promotions
- Found more meaningful work
When you work with Whitney to Learn the Ropes, you do all the hard work. You hone your inherent skills to be more relevant for the UX field. You receive the tools to build new skills, establish more effective systems, and seek support where needed. And you get Whitney’s encouragement every step of the way.
Are you ready to Learn the Ropes?
Let’s get underway. Email Whitney at [email protected] to share what you want to achieve and how you hope she can help. She’ll guide you from there.
I’m thrilled that I was able to be a part of this with you. I’ve gained so much from our work together, there are no words to say just how appreciative I am for all of your guidance and wisdom. Thank you so very, very, very much. It really is an honor to have you as my coach.” — C.B.
When you Learn the Ropes, you’ll receive:
- A personalized coaching program tailored to your desired career goals (including the purpose and intended outcomes of your coaching engagement)
- Recommended practices and exercises to start building the skills you need
- Private twice-monthly one-hour sessions with Whitney, for a minimum of 15 sessions, to check on your progress, discuss learnings and address any roadblocks
- Résumé and portfolio review and recommendations
- Online presence (personal site and social media) review and recommendations
- Introductions to potential employers, mentors and allies
- Coffee dates whenever Whitney is in your city or you’re in hers
- Answers to all of your UX questions throughout your engagement and forevermore
Learn the Ropes Timeline
Part 1: Establishing What You Know
- Session 1: Getting to know you. Whitney will spend 90 minutes asking you a myriad of questions about all areas of your career to get the full picture of your current situation. Clients have said these questions teach them so much about themselves in just one session.
- Session 2: Offering a program. After taking some time to assess and plan, Whitney will present you with the proposed purpose and outcomes of your user experience coaching engagement together. This includes a clear articulation of the philosophical shift that needs to be made to help you not only do UX, but be a UX practitioner. Whitney will then offer preliminary exercises for you to take on to begin creating that shift and building your toolbox.
Note: After Session 2, it is your decision whether you wish to proceed with the coaching program Whitney has devised. If you end here, you will walk away with a few new tools to use on your own. If you continue on with Whitney, she will guide you through developing a complete set of skills every step of the way.
Part 2: Building a Strong Foundation
- Sessions 3-12: Providing ongoing support. Every hour-long session will begin with you sharing your progress, including any insights gained and obstacles encountered. Whitney will then offer additional exercises to maintain your momentum or refocus your efforts as needed. She will also help you reframe challenges that arise to see them in a new light, as indications of or opportunities for continued growth.
Part 3: Exploring on Your Own
- Taking a break. The initial program is 12 sessions over a period of 5-6 months. Upon completion, you and Whitney will reflect back on where you were when you began and where you are now, drawing attention to the UX practice you’ve created for yourself. Now is your chance to revel in the rewards of your hard work.
- Sessions 13-15: Checking in. You will have follow-up sessions with Whitney scheduled 1, 3 and 6 months after your program completion. During these sessions, you will share your new insights from this vantage point, and discuss any exercises that need to be tweaked to keep the momentum going. Everything you’ve learned up until now will be reinforced and deepened.
Part 4: Deciding What to Learn Next
- Sessions 16-?: Extending your program. Once your engagement comes to a close, you may choose to continue working with Whitney or end there. The decision is yours. If you renew, together you will identify a new issue to tackle, and the cycle will begin again.
As your coach, Whitney won’t try to give you the answers to your career or situation, but instead will help guide you in a positive direction. She will be an ally, a sounding board, and a mirror. There are no judgments, no evaluations, and most of all, no pre-defined path. We’ll figure it all out together along the way.
Are you ready to Learn the Ropes?
Registration is currently closed. Please sign up below to be notified of our next program and receive special offers and discounts.
Confidentiality 100% guaranteed.
Sessions can be conducted via telephone, Skype or Google Hangout.
Limited slots available. Email for pricing and availability.