No one says, “When I grow up, I wanna be a manager!” Then one day there it is, and we’re totally unprepared. New responsibilities. New goals. New skills we needed yesterday. So. Many. Meetings. We’re on a moving train, and somehow we have to figure out how to drive this thing.
Managers are made, not born.
Everyone struggles in the transition from maker to manager. Most suffer in silence, and many never rise to their fullest potential. You get to be the one who does it right.
Help your team perform at its best.
Deal with issues before they become problems.
Hire the right people.
Put them in the right roles.
Find the resources needed to support them.
Learn how and when to let the wrong people go.
Stay connected to the work.
Understand your team members’ needs.
Empower others to lead.
Be a coach rather than a dictator.
Exceed your goals.
Impress your organization.
This stuff isn’t easy, but it’s totally possible. You need — and you deserve! — the support, guidance, and reinforcement to get it right.
Get Your Bearings
Coaching for People who Manage
with Whitney Hess
For years people have been coming to me for guidance as they make the transition into management. Regardless of their differing circumstances, personalities, or life stage, they have many of the same concerns, and learn many of the same lessons — how to get comfortable with their power, and how to use it as a force for good.
My approach to coaching — integration of mind, heart, and body — is based on the belief that people lose themselves when thinking one thing, feeling another thing, and acting another way entirely. We become our most powerful selves when our thoughts, feelings and actions are working in tandem, and it’s my job to get you back there. As your coach, I’ll help you identify your blind spots, overcome obstacles, and reach your fullest potential. Plus you’ll get the tools you need to continue to grow into the leader you’re meant to be.
You will receive:
- A personalized coaching program tailored to your specific issue (including the purpose and intended outcomes of our coaching engagement)
- Recommended practices and exercises to help create the desired shift
- Private twice-monthly one-hour sessions, for a minimum of 12 sessions, to check on your progress, discuss new insights and address any challenges
Topics We’re Likely to Cover
- Maker vs. manager
- Tactical vs. strategic
- Boss vs. coach
- Hiring and firing
- Setting goals
- Motivating your team
- Managing up and down
- Time/energy management
- Saying “No”
- Tracking results
- Performance reviews
- Leadership styles
- Raises and promotions
- Creating career paths
- Work/home balance
- Managing conflict
- Empowering others
- Whatever else you want
Our Coaching Timeline
Part 1: Determining Your Desired Destination
- Session 1: Getting to know you. I will spend 90 minutes asking you a myriad of questions about all areas of your life to get the full picture of your current situation. My clients have said these questions teach them so much about themselves in just one session.
- Session 2: Offering a program. After taking some time to assess and plan, I will present you with the proposed purpose and outcomes of our coaching engagement together. This includes a clear articulation of the shift that needs to be made in terms that will give you a fresh perspective on your journey. I will then offer a preliminary practice and exercise for you to take on to begin creating that shift, and together we’ll discuss ways to stick to doing them.
Part 2: Ensuring You Reach Your Destination
- Sessions 3-12: Providing ongoing support. Every hour-long session will begin with you sharing your progress, including any insights gained and obstacles encountered. I will then offer additional practices and exercises to maintain your momentum or refocus your efforts as needed. I will also help you reframe challenges that arise to see them in a new light, as indications of or opportunities for continued growth.
Part 3: Enjoying Your Destination to the Fullest
- Taking a break. The initial program is 12 sessions over a period of 6 months. Upon completion, we will reflect back on where you were when you began and where you are now, drawing attention to the shift you’ve created for yourself. Now is your chance to revel in the rewards of your hard work.
- Sessions 13-15: Checking in. We will have follow-up sessions scheduled 1, 3 and 6 months after your program completion. During these sessions, you will share your new insights from this vantage point, and we’ll discuss any practices or exercises that need to be tweaked to keep the momentum going. Everything you’ve learned up until now will be reinforced and deepened.
Part 4: Deciding Where to Go Next
- Sessions 16-?: Extending your program. Once our engagement comes to a close, you may choose to continue working with me or end there. The decision is yours. If you renew, together we will identify a new issue to tackle, and the cycle will begin again.
When you work with me, you do all the hard work. You begin to see your true self and recognize your inherent capabilities. You receive the tools to release the past, create more beneficial habits, build new skills, and seek support where needed. And you get my encouragement every step of the way.
Expect a mix of cognitive, emotional and physical exercises: self-reflection, self-observation, self-adjustment, and a lot of experimentation to see what works best.
As your coach, I don’t try to give you the answers to your own life, but instead will help guide you in a positive direction. I will be an ally, a sounding board, and a mirror. There are no judgments, no evaluations, and most of all, no pre-defined path. We’ll figure it all out together along the way.
Are you ready?
Please email me at [email protected] to share a bit about what you’re grappling with and how you hope I can help. We’ll go from there.
Pricing starts at $7,500 USD. Packages vary based on need, frequency and complexity.
Confidentiality 100% guaranteed.
Limited slots available. Email for packages and availability.