Whitney is the CEO of Heart Work, an executive coaching and culture change company that inspires leaders and teams to design themselves. Her techniques help people to gain self-awareness, identify blind spots, navigate obstacles, and bring their whole selves to their work.
For more than a decade, Whitney was a user experience consultant hired to make technology easier and more pleasurable to use. She has been recognized for her work with the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, the Martin Luther King Jr. Center for Nonviolent Social Change, Foundation Center, Seamless, Boxee, and WNYC. She is named as a co-inventor on a U.S. patent with American Express.
Whitney is a two-time graduate of Carnegie Mellon University, with a Master’s in Human-Computer Interaction and a Bachelor’s in Professional Writing and HCI. She is a Certified Integral Coach through New Ventures West and a Professional Certified Coach (PCC) with the International Coaching Federation. She writes on her blog Pleasure & Pain, co-hosts the podcast Designing Yourself, and speaks at conferences and corporations worldwide.
A native New Yorker, Whitney lives in Maine with her partner Fredrick Selby. They are in the early stages of planning their circumnavigation.
Timeline & Credentials
- The Wisdom of the Enneagram training at The Maine Enneagram Center for Transformation & Well Being (2019)
- Reiki 1 Certification with Kristine Keegan at Arcana Maine (2019)
- Incorporated as Public Benefit Corporation (2018)
- Certified B Corporation by B Lab (2018)
- Facilitative Mediation training at New York Peace Institute (2017)
- Nonviolent Communication training at NY Intensive (2016-Present)
- Professional Certified Coach credentialed by the International Coach Federation (2015)
- Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction and Mindful Self-Compassion training at UCSD Center for Mindfulness (2014-2015)
- Certified Integral Coach through New Ventures West (2013-2014)
- Certified Social & Emotional Intelligence Coach through the ISEI (2013)
- Launched Pleasure & Pain (2008)
- Established Limited Liability Company (2005)
- Master’s in Human-Computer Interaction from Carnegie Mellon University (2004)
- Bachelor’s in Professional Writing and HCI from Carnegie Mellon University (2004)
Styles & Aptitudes
- Enneagram: 8 with a 7-wing (The Challenger, The Maverick)
- Myers–Briggs: ENFJ (The Protagonist, The Teacher, The Giver)
- DiSC: D/i (Inspirational, Assertive)
- Activator – one who gets things started
- Maximizer – one who pursues excellence
- Achiever – one who gets things done
- Arranger – one who orchestrates efficiently and flexibly
- Futuristic – one who has an eye towards the future to drive today’s success
Here for you
To explore working together, please reach out to Whitney at [email protected]