You’re not a user experience designer if…

The UX field is booming. It seems like the number of user experience practitioners has doubled in the last year — from newbies who’ve just entered the workforce, to mid-career changes, to folks who’ve been doing this all along but finally found out what to call themselves.

It’s incredibly reassuring to finally see a long overdue interest in user experience practice; after all, that’s what many of us have spent our careers fighting for. I started this blog to give greater insight into how we think, how we work, and how we benefit customers and companies alike. I consider myself lucky to be among many professionals who speak at conferences around the world in an effort to bring UX into the mainstream. And it’s working!

There’s just one problem: not everyone calling themselves a user experience designer is actually a user experience designer. Unfortunately the designation isn’t as clear cut as a doctor or a lawyer. Most professions are certified and regulated, so you don’t see impostor behavior often — and when you do, it’s typically in the form of a news article about someone going to jail for fraud. Perhaps more analogously, even those in non-regulated occupations like writers and programmers would have a hard time passing themselves off as such without actually writing or actually programming.

But how does a user experience designer demonstrate their user experience designing? I’m not talking about quality or level of expertise here; I’m merely referring to the veracity, the legitimacy of the title itself.

You’re not a user experience designer if…

1. You don’t talk to users. If you design entirely based on intuition without ever gathering intel from a single human being who might at some point in their life come into contact with your business, I’m sorry, but you just aren’t a user experience designer.
  2. You can’t identify your target audience. If asked who your site is intended for and you say anyone and everyone, you are wrong. If a product is designed for everyone, it works for no one. A user experience designer would know that and narrow the target.
  3. You don’t define the problem before trying to solve it. If your boss tells you what to build and you don’t start the project by first determining why — the specific pain point that people are currently experiencing that your product aims to eliminate — you’re a lackey, not a user advocate. Nine times out of ten, understanding the problem changes the solution dramatically.
  4. You can’t articulate your users’ goals. Maybe you kinda get the problem people are having, but unless you can communicate (in your own words) the objectives your target users are trying to accomplish both in their lives and their work, how can you craft a solution that will truly support their efforts?
  5. You design in a vacuum. No user experience designer works alone, so if you are, you aren’t one. Even a UX team of one relies on stakeholders, visual designers, developers, marketers, the guy in the next cubicle , etc. for feedback. A user experience designer knows the product isn’t meant for them, and always tests its effectiveness with other people.
  6. You make design decisions based on your personal preferences. If your coworker or client asks you, “Why did you choose to use checkboxes instead of radio buttons?” and your answer is, “Because I’ve always liked checkboxes better,” please dear God don’t call yourself a user experience designer.
  7. You don’t consider the business objectives. Surprise! If all you want to do is protect the consumer, join the ACLU. A true user experience designer understands their company’s goals just as deeply as they understand their constituents. That allows you to determine which of the constituency’s needs should be addressed by the product, and make a case to the powers that be how doing so will positively impact the business in the long run.
  8. You don’t use UX methods. User interviews, usability tests, personas, scenarios, card sorts, affinity diagrams, concept models, sketches, flow diagrams, sitemaps, wireframes, prototypes, web analytics, A/B tests, the list goes on and on. If you don’t have a systematic approach for articulating what you learn about your users to others on your team, or even a loose process to iterate on your ideas for what they’ll experience, you might be trying but you aren’t a user experience designer.
  9. You don’t design for conditions and edge cases. If you map out best-case scenarios and how-we-want-it user flows, but don’t take the time to craft branches and escape hatches for alternative needs, user errors, system errors and general curiosity, you don’t understand people very well and you’re not a user experience designer.
  10. You only think about the interface. If you’re focused exclusively on what the user sees and does on your website/mobile app/desktop app/kiosk/whatever, but never plan for how they’ll get there, what they’ll do when they leave, how they’ll come back, and most of all, how they’ll feel about it a week later, you’re a user interface designer, not a user experience designer. There’s a big difference.

I might sound like I’m contradicting myself

The above slide is from my presentation DIY UX: Give Your Users an Upgrade Without Calling in a Pro. So yes, I am partially to blame for this trend. But I didn’t really mean for people to start putting the title on their business cards and anointing themselves User Experience Designers without actually putting in the hard work.

The point of that slide in particular is to get people to realize that no matter what their role is, if they touch the outcome of the product in any way, shape, or form (as a designer, developer, copywriter, business analyst or marketer), they are ultimately affecting the user’s experience with the product, and as such, must take responsibility for doing right by them. This means learning who they are, listening to their needs, understanding their behaviors, and getting their feedback each step of the way. Otherwise you have no right to call yourself, or let your boss call you, what you’re not.

If you have the title of User Experience Designer and you want to do these things but aren’t being allowed to, don’t stand for it. Send the culprit this post if you’re feeling ballsy. Or let me know how I can help, either in the comments or via email. It’s one thing to claim to be something that you’re not just to be in vogue and make yourself more appealing to prospective employers; it’s another thing altogether to try doing the job and having roadblocks put in your way. What user experience designers do is honorable, compassionate, and valuable to businesses’ bottom line. When it’s actually practiced.

Related Posts:

• says

The user is NOT a designer. They can only help you comprehend the problem; they’re not best positioned to derive the solution. They don’t understand design patterns and standards, and they also don’t know the business objectives. It’s a UX designer’s job to use input from the user as intel to then craft the right experience for them.

1. Maarten de jager says

Your list seems very subjective.There are always people doing their jobs well and people doing their jobs poorly. I don’t think a list of “requirements” is going to help. If you would have said: “to achieve X in your UX design project, you might want to look into Y, because Z” it might have promoted understanding of UX processes, but I think this is just a spew. You obviously think that there are people polluting the good name of the UX profession.
    Don’t be so mad, cause “what’s in a name” anyway? You should have more faith in the quality of your own work.

• Gabby Hon says

Well, of course her list is subjective, Maarten: she’s a person with an opinion. Whence shall we draw an objective list or imagine that such a thing even exists?

And if a list of requirements doesn’t help improve the evaluation or performance of self-identified User Experience Designers, what, pray tell, do you propose instead?

Perhaps, Maarten, you live in a magical land where recruiters don’t routinely post UX job descriptions that do not bear any resemblance to what the work actually entails. Be grateful for your good fortune in that regard. The rest of us, however, have been fighting an increasingly frustrating battle with charlatans and the clueless.

2. says

I shared this article with a few junior UX designers I’ve worked with and it gave them a good mark to set the bar. It’s hard to tell what qualities make a pro when your just getting your start.

3. says

Good article. Many great points.

Just wanted to mention though: you tried to use the word “anoint” as if it means something like “appoint”. It does not. This is another one of those “jive/jibe” things. The word you wanted is “appoint”.

4. says

(Following up my tweets, as requested!)

I read this post as needlessly defensive and, well, sort of territorial, which bothers me. Then again, it just rubbed me the wrong way, because it doesn’t jive very well with my own experience, so take the following (and the preceding) with a grain of salt.

A great experience takes the diverse talents of many to create, and while I do see that the role you define here as one that would be a great part of that, it’s rarely, if ever, so cut and dry.

I don’t have a ton of specific issues with the points made here, but I do have a big general issue:

I want my work to be defined by the experiences I design, the products I deliver, the impact on the businesses and organizations I work for and the delight of the people using things I made. And that’s it.

To me, you are a UX Designer if you design user experiences. The rest is all a means to an end. Defining those means in detail only limits your options. Those means can are very important, they cannot, in and of themselves, produce a great experience.

You can’t just hire a UX pro, have them go through a process and be guaranteed a great product or experience. I’d be willing to bet that many amazing experiences have been created ignoring one or more of the points you make here. Are there great experiences out there where the designer chose personal preference over data? I bet there are, not that I’m advocating that, just sayin’.

What’s more important here is what’s not defined. And trust me, I don’t want to add further definition, but here are a few examples:

A great experience requires vision. It could require rock solid engineering. It requires hustle and elbow grease. It often requires massive amounts of creativity. I could go on. Those things could be more important than whether or not you designed for edge cases, for example.

You start to define something as nebulous as “UX” and it quickly turns into a rabbit hole.

Anyway – is that kick-ass engineer who built your new iPhone app a User Experience Designer? Maybe not by title, but their work could very well have more impact on the experience than much of what’s outlined here.

It’s the experience that matters. It’s the end product–what the user sees and does with the product, etc.–not the titles, methods, tools, processes of the people that made it, that matters.

If “User Experience Designers” let the experiences themselves speak for themselves, they wouldn’t need to define and defend what they do with words.

5. Eric k says

This post is great. Reminds me of ” punk rock love” by Aaron comet bus. Punk rock love is… Having the same ex girlfriend. Punk rock love is… Dumpster diving on your first date. Etc etc

6. says

I think the problem also comes from the title itself.
    It has “Designer” in it, so any designer that knows how to whip up a wireframe feels entitled to said title.

These designers also tend to produce very high fidelity wireframes that focus more on layout than on IA or flow.
    Oh, and they don’t to actual flow charts because they’re ugly and they don’t do personas because they don’t like to type. Pah.

Thank you for this post!

• says

Yeah, I definitely get your perspective here. I’ve struggled with the “designer” aspect of the title myself. But is architect or planner or analyst any better?

7. Nigel says

Only problem I have with this is proper #ux work can still be a tough sell to clients as it effects timelines and budgets. This is a truth from small design shops, startups, to large agencies. User experience designers may want to practice their skills to the fullest however are governed by budgets, timelines and politics. Good design is not always practiced on the front lines, it’s just the reality. As spoke persons for users, our job is to shift this thinking, which I believe is slowly happening. Better experiences will bread a push for better experiences. I just hope this article does not discourage those passionate about their UX position but not able to practice it on a level they wish to. Keep pushing, it will come.

• says

Nigel, I definitely take your point to heart. But as an independent consultant myself, struggling against the budgets, timelines and politics of my clients, I consider it my responsibility above all to educate them on good UX practice and demonstrate how making time for the right approach is actually much more cost effective in the long run. Would love to talk to you about this more.

8. Hilary says

I read this article at around 8pm and am writing this at 2.38am as it’s left shrapnel. Sadly, I don’t feel any kind of solidarity with the author on the topic – I’m assuming this is the opposite affect of what was intended. I am happy to officially end my association with the title “UX”, something I was officially trained as, and called myself legitimately for about 6 years but have been moving away from recently as it appears I no longer fit the description. And, judging by comments by other designers I respect, I’m not alone.

It is a reality that most of us don’t have the luxury of time or money, nor the arrogance to stomp our foot and demand workplace changes to work by these 10 points. We’re lucky to get the chance of using a couple at the best of times. And yes, those of us working as designers in digital for well into double digit years do have the experience to simply design elegant solutions out of our heads, and we do a really good job of it.

9. Probably the opposite is more true... says

While all too common I think this viewpoint is fundamentally wrong. Users want vision. Designers have a responsibility to provide that. Failure to do so leads to stagnant, boring products….and on a broader level, stagnant, boring schemas. This obsession with ‘the user’ and ‘the problem’ in the UX industry is disturbing, cowardly and frankly a copout.

10. says

Great bullets. I’ve noticed the terms UX and UI being used a great deal more these days and I wonder if it’s either the industry growing up and specialising or just, as you said, people wanting to hitch their wagon to something *new* and exciting.

A lot of those points didn’t really grab me as something I’d say were specific requirements of a “UX” designer though. Just a good designer, is there really a significant difference?

11. swiss says

wonderful post – among reactions to reading this….relief. Realizing I’m not the only ux professional who believes these things as the bare bones basics of what we do. thanks much!

12. Mani says

“Willingness to accept criticisms and take them in the right sense”.

This is the one that’ll encourage people to give you more feedback on what you do.

13. says

Great article, and I agree with your points. As a web designer and front-end developer there are often times I have to think like a ux designer, but certainly not to the same level or degree, and I would never claim to be as such.

14. Nigel says

Don’t read this exclusionist nonsense. You are a UX designer if you design UX. Good ones, and bad ones. Now we’ve cleared that up, go and read a book that advances your craft. Or a blog article that discusses a UX problem and walks you through the author’s solution.

This. This is something written by a threatened consultant seeking to differentiate themselves from the body of a growing market.

To the author, spend less time defining what other people aren’t, and more time demonstrating what you are.

15. says

Now, Whitney please tell me what’s no.11 because all other 10 fail if you’re not good at story-telling ( … well, not quite ;))

I mean, convince them (in their own words most of the time) that what you do is good and it’s worth it.

Some UX work needs to be approved before doing it, and it will affect further steps etc. and in that moment it’s time to get your favorite pillow pet and start narrating :)

I know, there are books and articles on this subject, but I just wanted to mention it because the further you practice UX from NY, California or UK, the more you feel like a Master Degree in English Language is your Holly Grail :)

Thanks and see u in DC @ AEA :)

16. Mara says

Good reminders for sure! A more constructive approach would have been to write the title as “You are a user experience designer if…” and list what to do instead of what not to do.

17. Bill says

Since when is a re-tweet a “comment”. I hate it when UX designers (or anyone for that matter) have a heading saying “646 comments so far”, and most of those are not actually comments. This is a comment. Am I the only actual comment? UX starts at home, on your own turf. Accuracy of headings and labels means you’re taking care to present information. “642 comments” is completely misleading and inaccurate.

• says

I completely agree, Bill. I only turned on this plugin yesterday, and there’s a glitch. I’ve been waiting to hear back from the BTCNew folks on how to fix it. My sincere apologies for a totally unreadable comment stream.

18. Lucretia Pruitt says

Holy Feedback, Batman!

I had no idea your post has generated so much traffic and debate until I read your follow-up.

My first reaction to it was “oh yay! Another list post!” ( I react poorly to list posts as they are usually oversimplified or just link-bait.) but, I read it and thought “pretty solid – all of those are citical points to a *good* UX designer.”

But the reaction is somewhat disproportionate! Who are these people so offended by this list? Why do they take it so personally? There are times when every programmer is (by default) part of the UX design and s/he may be doing it in a void. Not every shop is going to have the resources or time to employ good UX methodology. But if you’re in that situation? You should be calling yourself a coder, not a UX designer. The guy building the house doesn’t call himself an architect, does he? Even if he didn’t employ an architect and built a beautiful house ground up – if he doesn’t know how to create a draft, use CAD to generate blueprints, and all of the other myriad skills an architect learns – he’s still simply a builder, no matter how amazing the end result is.

At some point, there will end up being University degrees and codification of the UX Designer gig – then wheat and chaff will separate. But until then, perhaps it’s better to look at this list as “don’t hire someone as a UX designer unless they can and have done these things.”. More of a caveat to employers than an attempt to exclude people from a group.

End of my 2 cents.

19. says

I think this is a great great starting list. I have to say I’m not surprised some people got all defensive about it because it’s probably exposed them quite a lot. You make all the right points & you make them well. We should be 100% Objective in UX (that’s what UX is) and anything subjective makes you just an IA or a Designer.

What I would say is that every situation and circumstance differs… so some briefs rely on some of the above… some on a few… sometimes none and we can revert back to type and just be designers and IAs occasionally crafting subjective work because of time constraints or client pressures.

Great stuff. Well done of raising the points and stimulating so much needed debate.

20. says

Sadly this is a common thing in the design area, but this isn’t happening only to UX.

I’ve just managed to insert a script in my site = I’m programmer.
    I don’t like that green, it should be a happier green = I’m a designer.
    I use productivity, management, team words = I’m a project manager.

And the list can be filled with hundreds of such examples.

Great article, though everyone that missed on point from your list is likely to start trolling.

21. says

Are you allowed to call yourself a User Experience designer if you don’t care about the user experience of your own blog on handheld devices? I tried reading this article on the bus home having seen it retweeted, and enjoyed the delicious irony of it not being particularly web friendly. Just saying – UX suffers from the same thing my profession does – people calling themselves designers with no real expertise, qualification or questioning from clients – but it’s strange to be concerned about the experience of computer interaction and not catch up with the boom in mobile web browsing on your own platform!

• says

Thanks for the feedback, Ben. The site looks great and is quite readable on my BlackBerry and my iPhone, but yes I don’t yet have a mobile site (been too busy with client work, speaking gigs and writing — the old “cobbler’s children have no shoes” problem). Can you send me a screenshot of what you’re seeing? Thanks!

22. says

Good article and all valid points but #3 resonated with me the most.

One measurement of a professional and the difference between a person who simply provides services is that a pro actually knows HOW and WHY to do something.

HCI and UX are very interesting fields of study and honestly see more marketing pros needing to learn more about it over the next few years no matter how they classify themselves.

23. Bijan Aryana says

I just want to add that, you are not a UX designer if you just focus on websites when you are talking about UX ;-) .

• says

Couldn’t agree more. It’s key to recognize that people are experiencing things in physical space as they interact with our digital products. Our role is to consider the entirety of their existence — their environment and workflows and influences and distractions. It all factors into our design decisions, and without awareness of it we neglect to take it into account.

24. Rana says

True!! Very true!!
    But in contradiction I some how respect these ” You’re not a user experience designer ” guys too. They might be the not-at-all/semi/amateur/so-called UX designers but they also help to aware the clients that there is something called the UX. Just like the Pawn, which may be the weakest but most numerous, which can make it crowd and is helpful for awareness. But yes, they should call themselves UXDE (User Experience Design Enthusiast).

BTW you can try your site here for responsive test.

25. April says

Great article. I’m glad you added that last part about not being allowed to actually design for user experience. I notice a lot of job postings calling for a “UX designer” but what they really want is a developer/coder. But who am I to tell them that in a job application?

26. Ron says

I’m a UX designer if my company is too flippin’ cheap to hire a real one, and I’m forced to do everything from front to back-end.

I’m not sure if you’d be surprised, but it’s incredible how many companies expect their web application developers to also do the front-end. “Oh no! That’s ok, Mr. Employer. I really don’t have enough to do being an expert Java EE developer with experience in a variety of frameworks and databases, let me also handle the graphics and UI/UX. I’m sure it’s not that hard.”

27. Masrur Hannan says

This article was THE Guideline for me on how to pursue becoming a user experience designer.

I am an entrepreneur, have been working as a web producer/ development manager for last 7-8 years. Always been trying to make applications and websites that are smooth, fun and comfortable to use – along with this instinct, in recent times I figured out UX is what I need to learn. Seemed like my passion in life!

Sometime last year I was looking all around the web for directions/ suggestions on how to get rolling with UX. This article put me on the track:

– Read all the UX related blog posts by Whitney
    – Read several books from ‘Whitney’s UX Bookshelf’ and still reading more

With some understanding gathered by reading great books such as – The Design of Everyday Things, Don’t Make Me Think, I took an online HCI course at ( – class based on Prof. Scott Klemmer’s HCI course at Stanford University)

After doing all the above, now have even secured several UX consultancy work in Dhaka, Bangladesh – where I live and breathe. And gearing up for an MS in HCI @ Stanford/ Carnegie Mellon University.

As I had a great user experience myself in the processes of learning of UX, considering it was made so easy by Whitney – I added her to my list of ‘Inspirational People’ in my facebook. In my list, Whitney is next to Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Nobel prize winners like Dr. Yunus (from Bangladesh), Rabindranath Tagore.

UX is a happening thing – Whitney is THE GUY who can hook you up; and she is THE Man :-)

28. Ganesh Salunke says

yess! this is what I always tell the people, who intend to be a UX expert OR UX Designers….I truly agree with you Whitney. Not only practices but UX is a true & honest hard work.

29. Franka Baly says

I have been in this industry for over 20 years and when I started we were not called UX Designers, we were called Human Factors Engineers. My point is the field is evolving… what we call ourselves, what we do, how we do our jobs etc. I think a lot of terrific designers are being asked to do a lot of UI work that takes them into the domain of UX quite often in today’s business environment. They are talking to customers and getting feedback to iterate on design and have to take into consideration business objectives as well. All this without being trained on a lot of the methodology of a UX designer. They are being creative in eliciting feedback and using cart sorts and A/B testing without even knowing that they are employing UX methods. I think that is very cool!! I wasn’t classically trained in HCI (Human-Computer Interaction), there was no such thing as a UX degree when I was in college, but I was trained and mentored by several PhDs that were and learned all of the methodology of doing HF/UX in a classic usability lab using Datalogger software, Pathfinder analysis and running data analysis using SAS to calculate t-tests, ANOVAs, and standard deviation. In my current position, I have had to throw a lot of that traditional methodology and assessment out the window because a lot of it doesn’t work in our lean and agile world where I need feedback and information fast so my team of developers can implement the changes on my mock-ups. They could care less what the standard deviation was. We are all seeking to arrive at great solutions for our customers and companies employing whatever methods can be done in the time the business gives us, even if it isn’t always pretty. I say that what you call yourself doesn’t matter, what does is that you have a commitment to creating a product (whether hardware or software) that is takes into consideration how your end-user will interact with it. I am happy to be a part of this amazing community!

30. anber says

I understand why UX is becoming such a huge “thing”. I “get” it, but just because there is a Santa, doesn’t mean I believe in him.

My problem with bad UX designers is this: Bad UX designers breed more UX designers.

I agree with most of the points mentioned here because very few UX designers take those points into consideration.

I’m a programmer and everyday I deal with so called “UX designers”. It’s the most frustrating part of my job when “bad” UX designers tell me how to implement their “vision”! Everyone wants to be a rockstar and are constantly trying to reinvent the wheel. They have no idea why things have evolve the way it has. They have no idea what lessons have been learned and why things are “boring”. These people given “authority” over critical factors that span across various disciplines.

I’ve been developing software for over 15 years and I have a fairly good idea why certain ideas would work or fail. I’m not UX person and would never call myself that but it’s really amusing when someone with less experience comes and tell me their “vision” and how I should do my job.

I have many developer friends who went over to the UX profession only because they could no longer deal with the pain of following the convoluted schemes that so-called UX designers come up with. It’s easy; today you’re struggling to implement some convoluted idea, tomorrow you are a UX designer and other people are left
    dealing with the crap.

The real problem with UX designers are that there is little accountability for the decisions they make. That is what sets them apart from other professions.

To make my point: Our client insisted on a backup feature for their software. That’s a very good idea and we implemented a backup and restore feature. Our UX designer insisted that I remove the “restore” button because that would clutter the interface and confuse the user. This particular UX designer left the company and the developers were held accountable for the bad design when the client realized 3 months after launch of their software couldn’t restore backups. Soon afterwards, one of our team members joined the UX team :)

31. cj says

I wish I could take your points, and subject them to a “You’re not a ___blank if you ___blank” treatment all around – I know many people who think they can do the UX (or any other type of designing) without taking into account the reasons why you design the way you design and do what you do! It’s a good article, not just for UX but for anyone that wants to say they are a graphic designer professional – unless you are considering your clients, their customers (or users) and getting input, feedback, and resources, stop and take a good look.

:D I’m so adding this to my favourites and using it as a benchmark for myself and any other UX designer brought on board!

• says

That’s so cool to hear, CJ. And you’re right, this does have applicability to almost any profession I suppose. Being a practitioner never means having all the answers or being a magician (unless you are a magician). We all have to improve our collaboration and communication, mindfulness and compassion.

32. frogdog says

Love it! You had me at
    “…to folks who’ve been doing this all along but finally found out what to call themselves.”
    When the web was just starting, there were those of us who knew intuitively what to do, and what not to do when designing for the web or applications. I was in my mid-thirties then, there was no name for it, since most of what we were doing wasn’t even being taught in schools! Now that UX has gone mainstream, I appreciate this article even more… thank you. My only qualm with it is that I believe it would be more effective for me if you put it all in the positive, as my brain doesn’t register negatives as well. Guess that’s the optimist, “let’s make it better!” side of me showing… :-)

• says

Frogdog, I really appreciate your support and understand your perspective as well, but I’ve written dozens, hundreds of posts in the positive voice. This was written in the negative for emphasis, for a deeper meaning. I hope you got something out of it. Thank you.

1. […] as a UX professional, feel good about the work we do. However, as Whitney Hess points out in her blog post, There’s just one problem: not everyone calling themselves a user experience designer is actually […]

2. […] segunda é um post muito interessante de Whitney Hess, que traz um checklist para identificar se você realmente atua como UX Designer ou […]

3. […] segunda é um post muito interessante de Whitney Hess, que traz um checklist para identificar se você realmente atua como UX Designer […]

4. […] I do think it means we need to criticise with the aim to contribute to the design community, not break it down. If we learned anything from the Dustin Curtis “Dear American Airlines” story, […]

5. […] de l’UX designer; du métier qui se cache derrière la pratique. Whitney Hess nous donne dans You’re not a user experience designer if… une leçon en 10 points et démontre par A+B si ce que vous faites est de l’UX design et donc si […]

6. […] things could be more important than whether or not you designed for edge cases, for example. – D. Keith Robinson via Jason […]

7. […] Whitney Hess : Regardless of what they choose to call themselves, how can you identify someone who isn’t actually practicing UX at all, who’s only hitching their wagon to a rising star? […]

8. […] you a user experience designer? yes, this is an opportunity to work for a company that allows you to think and grow as an […]

9. […] Por fim, indico este post da Whitney Hess, que é muito legal para entender melhor a profissão: (post do hess) […]

10. […] AMAZING post by Whitney Hess—one of my all-time favorite bloggers and UX designers—on her blog […]

11. […] agencies are evolving. I’d like to say that it’s as easy as hiring an analytics expert, a user experience designer and a writer with enough web experience to transition client messaging into salient web content. […]

12. […] blog post I wrote about six weeks ago titled, You’re not a user experience designer if…, got way more attention than I ever could have predicted — in fact, I think it got the most […]

13. […] terms are in dispute, as are the boundaries of the field itself. There are those who believe that UX design is something very specific, and those who believe that anything that influences a user who has an experience counts. […]

14. […] a few months ago when I came across a link on Twitter to the blog of Whitney Hess, entitled “You’re not a user experience designer if…” A very interesting and informative read, Ms. Hess presented ideas of what user experience designers […]

15. […] by the anger I could understand his complaint, especially about Whitney’s post where she drew a stark line around what UX is and is not with an absolutist […]

16. […] do not know Whitney Hess. I read her post on what a user experience designer is not, which I think is the worst blog post I’ve read this year not authored by Michael Arrington […]

17. […] You’re not a user experience designer if… by Whitney Hess Episode 1 Roger Belveal [ 30:16 ] Play Now | Play in Popup | Download This entry was posted in Podcast and tagged home-page. Bookmark the permalink. […]

18. […] once read a tweet that lead me to this article about the topic and a lot of it really stuck out to me. I’d challenge you to honestly review the 10 things […]

19. […] UX designer for a would-be UX client? Being practitioners ourselves, it’s easier to create a more-or-less comprehensive checklist of the “do yas” or “don’tchas” surrounding UX design.For those […]

20. […] a lot of talk these days about being a user expe­ri­ence designer — what it means, who does it, who doesn’t do it, how to break into the field. This kind of dia­logue is illu­mi­nat­ing […]

21. […] we’re stuck with. So we have a predicament. The UX community is fighting over semantics and who should be allowed to call themselves a UX designer. If we could just step out of that for a while and think about the larger implications we’d […]

22. […] her article “You’re Not a User Experience Designer If…,” Whitney Hess demonstrates wonderful writing with dissonance. She could have taken the easy way […]

23. […] on You’re not a user experience designer if… by Ben Seven: Are you allowed to call yourself a User Experience designer if you don’t care […]

24. Josh Kerr says:

[…] You’re not a user experience designer if… Tweet This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged interesting by joshkerr. Bookmark the permalink. […]

25. […] by the anger I could understand his complaint, especially about Whitney’s post where she drew a stark line around what UX is and is not with an absolutist […]

26. […] her article “You’re Not a User Experience Designer If…,” Whitney Hess demonstrates wonderful writing with dissonance. She could have taken the easy way […]

27. […] segunda é um post muito interessante de Whitney Hess, que traz um checklist para identificar se você realmente atua como UX […]

28. […] [1] The fuzzy (and arguably failing) attempt at differentiating the IxD role from UXD role (which winds up sounding like "UXD is the boss of the other designers"), and it's worth doing a compare/contrast with Whitney Hess' venerable "You’re not a user experience designer if…" post…; […]

29. […] post, intitolato provocatoriamente “Non sei uno user experience designer se…“, la Hess nota come Il campo dell’UX sta esplodendo. Sembra che il numero di chi lavora […]

30. […] a great post on what makes a User Experience Designer, see Whitney Hess’ blog. Like this:LikeBe the first to like this post. This entry was posted in Uncategorized by anthviv. […]

31. […] an ‘indie’ UX designer until you have proven yourself as a ‘successful’ UX designer and have the portfolio and references to back you […]

32. […] a few months ago when I came across a link on Twitter to the blog of Whitney Hess, entitled “You’re not a user experience designer if…” A very interesting and informative read, Ms. Hess presented ideas of what user experience designers […]

33. […] a few months ago when I came across a link on Twitter to the blog of Whitney Hess, entitled “You’re not a user experience designer if…” A very interesting and informative read, Ms. Hess presented ideas of what user experience designers […]

34. […] своей статье «Ты не дизайнер пользовательского интерфейса, если…», Уитни Хэсс продемонстрировала отличный пример […]

35. […] hecho, como nos dice Whitney Hess, no puedes considerarte un diseñador de experiencia de usuario […]

36. […] You’re not a user experience designer if…  – Ce texte fera certainement l’objet de mon prochain article. Je trouve qu’il défini bien mon travail de tous les jours et remet les pendules à l’heure sur un titre qui est parfois utilisé à tort parce qu’il est à la mode. […]

37. […] la UX Designer Whitney Hess la sfida sarà sempre più quella di progettare design in fuzione dello scopo dei dispositivi che […]

38. […] her article “You’re Not a User Experience Designer If…,” Whitney Hess demonstrates wonderful writing with dissonance. She could have taken the easy way […]

39. […] the Pleasure & Pain blog, Whitney Hess, a contributor to organizations like Forbes, the New York Times, .net Magazine, […]

40. […] came across a great blog post by Whitney Hess (I don't want to steal her traffic so here is just a link) about what shows your not a user experience person, but I though maybe I should point to what does […]

41. […] I read a fantastic article by Whitney Hess, “You’re not a user experience designer if…” (and you should read it too). In it she brings up really excellent points about things that a lot […]

42. […] la UX Designer Whitney Hess la sfida sarà sempre più quella di progettare design in fuzione dello scopo dei dispositivi che […]

43. […] avril 2011, Whitney Hess publiait l’article You’re not à user expericence designer if… et plus récemment, en septembre 2012, How to Evaluate a UX Designer for Your Company, or, What […]

44. […] we plan for things that don’t go as planned. Part of planning a user experience is considering what happens outside of the best-case scenario. Our team uses mind maps to plan where to write helpful copy for errors and see what alternative […]