Here’s my wrap-up on the keynote speech, which just ended:
1- Time Capsule, wireless backup utility. New Airport Extreme base station with an internal server-grade hard drive.
2- Free software upgrade for iPhone includes: location mapping, SMS multiple recipients, customizable home screen, bookmarks sent to home screen
3- $20 software upgrade for iPod Touch includes 5 new apps: Mail, Stocks, Weather, Notes, and Maps
4- iTunes Movie Rentals with every studio on board. Movies available 30 days after their DVD release. $2.99 each ($3.99 for new releases). Watch anywhere (Mac, PC, iPod, iPhone) within 30 days of purchase, but must finish within 24 hours
5- Apple TV Take 2. No computer needed. Rent HDTV movies and TV shows ($4.99 each), sync with iTunes, get photos from Flickr and .Mac. Free software upgrade for existing units. Price drop on new units to $229.
6- 20th Century Fox moving to Blu-Ray format, and will be offering free iTunes version on their DVDs
7- Introducing world’s thinest notebook computer: MacBook Air. So thin it fits inside a manila envelope.
- Weighs 3 pounds
- Aluminum case tapers from 0.16″ to 0.76″ thick
- Magnetic latch, 13.3″ widescreen instant-on LED backlit display
- iSight built in
- Full-size keyboard
- Multi-touch gesture support on the trackpad
- 80GB hard drive (1.8″ like in iPods), 64GB SSD optional
- 1.6 GHz standard, 1.8 GHz optional — Intel Core 2 Duo
- 802.11n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
- No CD-DVD drive, but can purchase SuperDrive separately for $99
- Remote Disc lets you “borrow” another machine’s optical drive to install software, etc
- 5-hour battery life
- 2GB memory standard
- Environmental highlights:
- Aluminum case (good for recycling)
- First fully mercury and lead free display
- Circuit boards are BFR (brominated flame retardant) and PVC free
- Retail packaging has 56% less volume than MacBook
Unit price: $1,799
Pre-orders start today
Guess who’ll have one on her desk in two weeks?
Thanks to MacWorld, Gizmodo and MacRumors for liveblogging. Wish I were there!
- I bought a MacBook Air! January 15, 2008 | 2 comments
- My MacBook Air finally arrived! February 8, 2008 | 2 comments
- From the archives: I love new toys! January 30, 2011 | 3 comments
- Apple’s Most Notorious Flops January 25, 2008 | 2 comments
- TD Bank’s Penny Arcade August 22, 2009 | 58 comments
I am totally impressed with the blog work, just keep posts like this one coming lot often, you truly rock!