There has been a lot of talk about it for weeks, but it’s finally here. Internet Week New York starts tomorrow and goes until Tuesday, June 10.
“Presented by the International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences in cooperation with City of New York and The Mayor’s Office of Film, Theatre & Broadcasting,” Internet Week is simply a collection of events hosted by various tech organizations around the city, open to anyone.
I have to thank Stephanie Agresta, a.k.a. Internet Geek Girl, for telling me about this festival months ago so that I had proper time to block my calendar. She just posted her Top 5 Must Do events, so I thought I’d follow suit and let you know where I’ll be this week as well. If you happen to see me out anywhere, please don’t hesitate to introduce yourself. I love meeting new people!
Since I have a full-time job, I unfortunately won’t be able to attend mid-day events. However, I’ll be out and about in the evenings, and the line-up is pretty groovy.
Tuesday, June 3
NY Tech Meetup
@ IAC, 18th Street and the West Side Highway
7 – 8:30pm
Instead of the typical presentations by new start-ups, this month features some of the biggest players in the NY tech scene:
- AlleyCorp (Kevin Ryan, CEO)
- DailyCandy (Catherine Levene, COO)
- Etsy (Rob Kalin, CEO)
- Huffington Post (Betsy Morgan, CEO & Jonah Peretti, Co-Founder)
- IAC (Joey Levin, SVP/M&A)
- The Ladders (Marc Cenedella, CEO)
- Meetup (Greg Whalin, CTO & Maya Voskoboynikov, GPM)
- Mimeo (David Uyttendaele & Jeff Stewart, Founders)
- Thumbplay (Chris Phenner, VPBD)
Following the event there will be a group gathering for drinks at The Park, 118 10th Avenue (between 17th and 18th). I’ve never attended post-meetup drinks before, but found it on the nextNY website.
Wendesday, June 4
Thursday, June 5
@ Sweet & Vicious, 5 Spring Street at Bowery
6 – 11pm
Friday, June 6
Any open event of “local New Yorkers startups and entrepreneurs to Venture Capitalists, Web 2.0 companies and established New York Institutions.” Lots of awesome exhibitors all in one place:
- Next New Networks
- Atlantic Metro Communications
- Rubicon Project
- NextWeb New York
Saturday, June 7
@ Plunge (rooftop bar) at The Hotel Gansevoort, 18 9th Avenue and 13th Street
4:30 – 8:30pm
Am I missing anything?
If you think there’s an event that I really ought to be attending, please let me know! I’m bummed that I can’t make Maker Faire, since I heard such good things about the San Francisco one, but I have a conflict before I head to Media Meshing.
Also, I’m strongly considering attending NY:MIEG breakfast tomorrow, Tuesday, June 3, at 7:30am at SobelMedia, 4 West 43rd St. The topic is: “Shifting the Paradigm: Young Women with Cool Jobs Making a Difference in Digital Media and Beyond,” which is pretty much right up my alley. We’ll see if I can get myself out of bed that early! Facebook invitation here.
I look forward to meeting many of you this week. Let’s hope I get through it!
- Internet Week NY Wrap-Up (in photos) June 9, 2008 | 2 comments
- Meet me at NYC’s Internet Week 2010 June 7, 2010 | 0 comments
- New to New York? November 13, 2009 | 5 comments
- Find me at Web 2.0 Expo NY this week September 16, 2008 | 1 comments
- My DIY UX talk is featured in InformationWeek August 24, 2009 | 1 comments