I’ve been absent from the blog for a while because I’ve been on vacation (one of many this summer). First I spent the weekend in San Francisco visiting friends from college, wandering around the city and hanging with my “community of practice” peeps (thanks to Josh Williams for organizing brunch and Lorri Nault for putting me up). Then starting on Monday, June 23, my lovely friend Joanna and I drove from San Francisco to Seattle with nights in Eureka, CA, Florence, OR, and Portland, OR.
The trip highlights included:
- Fish & chips with fresh Alaskan halibut and local Miyagi oysters at Fish. in Sausalito (Beer: Franziskaner, Downtown Brown)
- Driving through Chandelier Tree and Avenue of the Giants in Redwood State Park
- Dinner at Cafe Waterfront in Eureka, CA (Beer: Downtown Brown, Red Seal Ale)
- The Ship’s Inn, our B&B in Eureka, CA
- Elks on the side of the road in Redwood National Park
- A giant talking, moving Paul Bunyan at the Trees of Mystery in Klamath, CA
- The gorgeous, windy beaches of Oregon
- Buffalo burger at Paul Bunyan Burger in Gold Beach, OR
- Misty Meadows Jams in Bandon, OR
- The view from the Best Western in Florence, OR (like Dawson’s Creek)
- Bridgewater Restaurant in Florence, OR (Beer: Monkey Face Porter, Drop Top Ale, Lagunitas IPA)
- World’s largest sea lion caves
- Rogue Brewery in Newport, OR — took the brewery tour, ogled the 40 beers on tap (many of them not bottled), met the brewmaster, ate great seafood, drank two flights of four beers each (Beer: Dead Guy Ale, Shakespeare Stout, American Amber, Hazelnut Brown Nectar, Imperial Stout, Morimoto Soba Ale, Smoke Ale, Brutal Bitter, Mocha Porter, Contraband IPA [my absolute favorite], Double IPA, Oregon Golden, Dry Hop Red, 100 Meter, MoM Hefeweizen)
- Spending time with Sharin in Portland
- Portland’s Rose Garden and Hoyt Arboretum in Washington Park
- Seeing five mountains — Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Adams, Mt. Jefferson, Mt. Rainier — from the top of Council Crest Park
- Portland Tweetup at Hopworks Urban Brewery (organic beer) with @supergreek @billder @sisoma @isaacman @gaeyia @tylerbrown @mikelemmon @jolove and more (thanks to Bill DeRouchey for organizing) (Beer: Hopworks IPA, Velvet ESB, something Belgian-style I forget)
- Buying lots of dresses on NW 23rd St in Portland
- Visiting college friends in Seattle, WA (my very first time there!)
- Sampler at Elysian Brewing Company in Capitol Hill (Beer: Avatar Jasmine IPA, Poison Dwarf, Foster Child, Daedalus Irish Stout, Titania)
- Meeting Bear and Anders at Pike Place Fish Market, seeing the famous fish throw and buying a pound of delicious white salmon packed on ice for the trip home
- Driving around Seattle aimlessly at night
It was such a wonderful adventure. Check out all of my photos on Flickr — and if you don’t see photos of people, it’s because we aren’t Flickr friends, sorry!
- December Flickr Updates December 6, 2008 | 0 comments
- List of Firsts: Saturday, April 19, 2008 April 21, 2008 | 2 comments
- Sketched October 14, 2012 | 0 comments
- Leaving for Israel July 27, 2008 | 6 comments
- links for 2008-02-25 February 25, 2008 | 0 comments
So much beer! I definitely know who to ask next time I’m out in the states for recommendations :)
Hope you had a great holiday.
Beer is always with us when traveling even though it increases our bill. I like your pictures, great shots.
Marissa Martin says
Sadly you missed my favorite beach in Oregon, Cannon beach, west of Portland. Pictures at http://www.100besteverything.com/best-beaches/C…. Hopefully we'll see you back another day!
travel news says
nice trips and really exciting to do. hope i can do than on my vacation