It’s possible to have a long and fulfilling career in the field of User Experience, at the forefront of technology and business. And even more thrilling, there are still so many unchartered waters to explore. But having to choose your own adventure can feel like a blessing and a curse.
Whether you’re making a shift into User Experience or at an inflection point in your UX career, you have to decide where you want to go and figure out how to get there. But if you don’t know what’s possible, how will you ever decide? You need a navigation system to guide the way.
with your coach, Whitney Hess
It may be time to Plot Your Course if:
- You feel like you’ve plateaued and don’t know what challenge to tackle next
- You’re hindered by a corporate culture that isn’t conducive to great UX work
- You feel like something is missing and you just don’t know what it is
- You’re desperate to do work that matters and make a difference in people’s lives
- You’re scared it may be too late to “start over”
- You’re just not sure anymore if User Experience is the work you’re meant to do
The reason you still haven’t discovered the UX career path is because there is no UX career path. You get to be the captain of your own ship. Let Whitney be your navigator.
I will always be grateful for your help with my own journey. I’ve had to do the work, but your listening, reframing, and guidance have been such a huge help. Even when I do have those moments of doubt, I think of our conversations and the tools you’ve given me to push forward.” – A.M.
People who work with Whitney to Plot Their Course have:
- Developed new skills
- Sold their best ideas
- Earned greater responsibility
- Taken on paying side projects
- Received praise from coworkers
- Been offered speaking gigs
- Found their mentors
- Redesigned their portfolios
- Entered grad school
- Launched to rave reviews
- Earned raises and promotions
- Found more meaningful work
Whitney has spent the last decade building a career in User Experience, from being an interaction designer at a digital agency, to a user experience researcher at a financial software company, to running her own business since 2008. She loves what she has created for herself and she wants you to have the same.
Your most important project is you. Use the principles and methods of UX that you already know to design your own career.
When she was three years out of college and unclear what was next, Whitney asked her boss about the UX career path. “I don’t know what the UX career path is,” he said, “but whatever you do, don’t follow mine.” Scared and confused, she slowly got involved in the UX community, looking for guidance and inspiration. By observing the careers of others and asking a lot of questions, she began to map out her own desired trajectory.
Now seven years later, Whitney has gone from a full-time wireframer to a certified professional coach, from designing interfaces to designing companies. When you Plot Your Course with Whitney, she will share the stages of her professional evolution — how she decided what each step would be, how she made it happen, and what is coming next — and show you how to use the same techniques to design your own career. Together we can expand the role of User Experience within our own communities and across organizations worldwide.
I am more confident than ever about pursuing a career in UX. It is really the first time I do not feel like an outsider in a professional community. I cannot thank you enough for pointing me in the right direction. Thank you for all of your support.” — C.A.
When you Plot Your Course, you’ll receive:
- A process for designing your UX career using methods you already know
- Systems to identify the skills you need to develop now
- An intimate group of UX practitioners designing their careers alongside you
5 people max per group
- 10 one-hour group sessions every other week to walk you through the process
- 2 one-hour private sessions with Whitney to amp up your progress
monthly or biweekly calls for an additional fee
- Between-session practices and exercises to reflect on and integrate what you learned and prep for the next (no more than 2-3 hours of homework per week)
- Recordings of all group and private sessions
- Résumé and portfolio review and recommendations
- Introductions to potential employers, mentors and allies
Plot Your Course timeline — 12 sessions in 5 months
Group Sessions 1-4:
- Career Objectives: What do you want your legacy to be?
- Target Audiences: Who do you wish to serve?
- Problem and Purpose: What is the purpose of your work?
- Success Metrics: How do you want to define your success?
Private Session 1:
- Research and Strategy: What is your key differentiator?
Group Sessions 5-9:
- Scope Assessments: How competent are you within each domain of UX?
- Growth Roadmap: What does your ideal UX trajectory look like?
- Functions and Capabilities: What skills will you need to long-term?
- Phased Development Plan: What new skills will have the most impact now?
- Marketing Plan: How can you get the right attention from the right people?
Private Session 2:
- Design and Development: How can you iterate your way forward?
Group Session 10:
- Daily Habits: What is one thing you can start doing today?
I’m thrilled that I was able to be a part of this with you. I’ve gained so much from our work together, there are no words to say just how appreciative I am for all of your guidance and wisdom. Thank you so very, very, very much. It really is an honor to have you as my coach.” — C.B.
Frequently Asked Questions about Plot Your Course
If you’re still wondering about something, hopefully your answer is right here. If it isn’t, please don’t hesitate to ask! [email protected]
How much will I be required to share?
What is the time commitment that is expected of me?
What if I can’t make a session?
Will you be assigning a project for me to do?
Will I have a new job at the end of this program?
Is 5 months really enough time to make this transition?
Can you guarantee my success in UX?
Do I need a formal education to have a career in UX?
What if I’m not sure about UX?
Do you have a payment program?
When does the next Plot Your Course start?
Next program starts January 28, 2015. Registration closes January 5, 2015.
What does it cost?
The full 5-month program is $2,495.00 USD per person
A 50% deposit holds your spot; the remainder is due before Session 3.
- 10 group sessions over 5 months
- 2 one-on-one sessions with Whitney
- a reusable workbook to plot your career
- recordings of all sessions
- Whitney’s recommendations on how to improve your online presence
- Introductions to your next boss, mentor, or partner
$499 off until December 31, 2014 when you use promo code PLOT2015
I never would have thought I’d be living the beautiful life I am right now. You gave me such simple strategies to help me keep moving forward. They seem so simple because they were things I already knew. Thank you for listening to me and reiterating the wisdom I already had.” — T.R.
Whitney’s UX Bookshelf