Headed back home from Heathrow Airport after a lovely vacation, I stopped at the Pret A Manger for a quick pre-flight bite.
When I got to the cash register, I noticed this awesome sticker — concise, honest, and, best of all, empathetic.
We’re legally required to add on
VAT when you eat in. Nightmare.
They’re legally required to charge VAT (value added tax), but they aren’t required to be dicks about it. Yet most merchants are. The staff feels that it’s out of their control and they’re sick of getting blamed, so they shrug their shoulders and keep it quiet, hoping you won’t notice.
I admire Pret for taking a different route: being upfront, noting it prominently, and identifying with the customer. Now that they’ve set my expectations and repudiate the blame, my distaste in paying it doesn’t negatively effect their brand. In fact, I like them even more now. It’s kind of genius.
- Photo of the day: Please don’t touch, lick, stroke or mount the exhibits March 7, 2009 | 1 comments
- Photo of the day: Time To Buy Cut-Rite July 8, 2009 | 1 comments
- Photo of the day: Back in 30 minutes June 15, 2010 | 2 comments
- Why the new Skittles website is ridiculous but I don’t actually care March 3, 2009 | 10 comments
- Photo of the day: Unattended Kids April 2, 2009 | 1 comments